8.27.2007

Lenten Devotion for Tuesday, March 6, 2007 by Chris Marchand

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied
+++Matthew 5:6

I could sure go for some ice cream about now.
I could probably eat an entire half gallon.
Make sure it’s chocolate. Chocolate anything.
I’ll eat it. All of it.

I have this list. It’s a long list.
It’s filled with books and CD’s and movies mostly.
It’s on the internet.
I made it for myself, so I don’t forget all the stuff I need to buy.

I love to receive presents. Especially in the mail.
Especially presents I bought for myself.
The waiting is the fun part.
The let down is when I open my package and I still want something else.

Sometimes I spend hours watching videos on the internet,
Entertaining myself, when I should be working,
And when my wife comes home, there’s still work to do,
And I don’t have time for her.

Some days I wake up and I’m Ptolemy and others
I’m Copernicus.
I’m always getting the two confused.
I really hope my life’s not a show on God’s TV.

{[(I used personal pronouns twenty-five times in this poem including this line)]}

Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water
will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water
that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. The water
that I will give him will become in him a spring of water
welling up to eternal life.” The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water,
so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”
+++John 4:13-14

Lord God, teach us to hunger and thirst for your living water.
Teach us to draw daily from your unending well.
Teach us to be fully eternally satisfied in you,
so that we might give out to the rest of the world
your living water.
Grant us the grace to do this we pray,
in the name of Jesus our Lord, Amen.

No comments: